Thursday, June 7, 2012

I Hate Basting

I love quilting.  I hate basting.

It's one of those necessary evils, though, isn't it?


Untitled

 I was basting this quilt up the other day (more info on the quilt later, when I get good pics) and I noticed something. When I begin basting, my pins are close to each other. Maybe like 3-4 inches apart. As I keep going, I noticed that they get a little farther apart. At the end it's like whatever I can do to get done with this is good enough.

Then I was like, man, is this what I'm like in other things? I start off well, but don't finish well? Well, I mean, I finished well enough, but not as well as I began. These are the thoughts I have when I'm on my knees basting in the middle of the floor as the children run by me.

What about you?

And by the way, if you don't have a basting tool, that's okay.

I've been using a wood skewer with the tip cut off for a while and it works great! The poor quilter's basting tool!  It's really helped my fingers and nails and makes it go a lot faster!
 

8 comments:

  1. For quilts that I want to quilt on my machine, I use my quilting frame (no crawling around on the floor). My quilting tool is a teaspoon which I slip under the sharp end of the safety pin to lift so I can fasten it! (a tip that came from my teacher)

    ReplyDelete
  2. i use 505 spray baste. It is fast and every square inch is basted well. It's pricy but I get it on sale :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am OK with basting since I started using 505. I agree with Carla. I really don't get the complaints about it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I H.A.T.E basting too! Especially because my knees can't handle crawling on the floor anymore. Hubby bought me cushy knee pads & they help a little. I would love to find out how to use a table. How does the basting tool work? Kym

    ReplyDelete
  5. Grapefruit spoons work great, too, for basting with safety pins. Just an FYI.

    ReplyDelete
  6. ooooo - I KNEW this was going to look fabulous! can't wait to see more!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I third the 505 suggestion! I hated those safety pins, and now, it is a much quicker trip to the floor to get the quilt basted! I always use spray now... I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I third the 505 suggestion! I hated those safety pins, and now, it is a much quicker trip to the floor to get the quilt basted! I always use spray now... I love it!

    ReplyDelete